Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Amen Journey

I have thought about blogging for some time but never could think of a title - so why this one? At first it was just "Amen." I knew how I normally used the word "amen" and that would make it sound more like the end of the effort than the beginning. So I looked up the word "amen" in "Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words." I am not a Greek or Hebrew anything when it comes to those languages so I will just quote from Vine's.

"Amen is transliterated from Hebrew into both Greek and English. Its meanings have been seen in such passages as Deuteronomy 7:9 - 'the faithful (the Amen) God,' and in Isaiah 65:16, 'the God of truth or the God of Amen.' There are cases where people use it to express their assent to a law and their willingness to submit to the penalty attached to the breach of it, Deuteronomy 27:15. It is also used to express acquiescence in another's prayer, 1 Kings 1:36 where it is defined as '(let) God say so too,' or in another's thanksgiving, 1 Chronicles 16:36. Once in the New Testament 'Amen' is a title of Christ, Revelation 3:14, because through Him the purposes of God are established, 2 Corinthians 1:20. The individual says 'Amen' to express, 'let it be so' in response to the Divine 'thus it shall be,' Revelation 22:20. The Lord Jesus often used 'Amen' translated 'verily' to introduce new revelations of the mind of God."

I have been praying that God would give me a title for this new venture. As I read from Vine's, I began to see that the word "Amen" would be one to help me stay focused on God as "the God of Truth" and Christ as the preeminent One through whom we have access to God and the truth of God, His Word - of God as the One who says "thus it shall be" and of His desire for one who will say, "let it be so in my life." One of the greatest needs in my life is to say to the Lord and His Word, on a daily basis, "let it be so in my life." Then I thought how experiencing and sharing these truths, along with many more from God's Word, make for an incredible journey - like an amen journey. So with this first post I begin a new phase in my journey with God and I invite all who read this to join me in that journey. I close this first post by saying "thank you" to my wife, Betty, for her prayers and for her encouraging me to write. I love you, Betty, and I am glad you are on this journey with me.

No comments: