Wednesday, October 21, 2009

An Amazing Journey

It has been nearly five months since the last post. I do not yet understand all that has happened in my life since then. The journey just got incredible. I began the last post with these words,

"I went to the woods because I wanted to see if I could not learn what life had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Little did I know what I was about to encounter - especially in view of the concluding words of that post:

"For the next series of posts, I want to explore what happened to my life and why it happened. I believe, for me, it will prove to be a time of on-going discovery and understanding - sort of a re-constructing of my life in light of the gospel. What I write today may have to be revised tomorrow. That probability is part of the journey. Ultimately, I am expecting to experience a total re-arrangement of my life - a clarifying of understanding when it comes to real living - gospel centered living. It will be a quest to understand the gospel and grow deeper in that understanding. I want the results expressed in Colossians 1:5-6, to be true of my life. "...Of this you have heard before in the word of the truth, the gospel, which has come to you, as indeed in the whole world it is bearing fruit and growing—as it also does among you, since the day you heard it and understood the grace of God in truth,..."

I was expecting to experience a total re-arranging of my life concerning what gospel centered living meant; but I had no idea what God was about to do in my life as part of that re-arranging. Within a little more than a month after I wrote these words, I found myself preparing for a journey of a lifetime - an experience that would take my journey with God deeper than anything I have ever experienced. So for however long it takes, I will be writing about that journey and seeking to understand all that God has given me and will give me in that experience. I will give you a hint. It has to do with Africa and a physical journey of nearly 20,000 miles; but a spiritual journey that I hope has no end this side of heaven. It began with doubt and fear and ended with a renewed faith beyond anything I could have imagined. When I began that last post and spoke of not wanting to come to the end of my life and discover that I had not lived, I had no idea what God was going to do. I had no idea of the classroom God had prepared for me. I soon found out it would go far beyond just an academic exercise.

“Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.”

No comments: